After a long snowy winter, it is always nice to see glimpses of the spring, albeit with snowstorms thrown in here and there. The weather begins to get a little warmer, snow piles up by the side of the road slowly melting away, crocuses start to poke through the mulch in the flower beds and baseball season kicks into gear. With spring comes spring cleaning...time to open up the windows, roll up the sleeves and get things cleaned up, uncluttered, refreshed.
Does your lab need spring cleaning? Do you have excess, unused, broken, or orphaned lab equipment? Do you have the one "room" where these systems end up? Most labs have one of these rooms, sections or areas for "misfit" lab equipment. It is time for some spring cleaning and clear out that room!
Taking stock of the equipment that is collecting dust should be part of your spring cleaning protocol. Here are a few steps that can help in this process...
- Identify the system.
- Make sure you are not paying for a service contract on a system that is not being used.
- Determine its usefulness and how it can impact on your research. Will it help or will it hinder? Is it safe to use?
- Determine the cost for getting the system back to a "research ready" state. If it is an obsolete product that is no longer supported by the manufacturer, then look at independent service companies that may have the skills, tools and aftermarket parts needed to get it back up and running.
If you determine that it is no longer needed, then...
- Reach out to colleagues to see if they can use it. Better in use in someone else's lab than in a landfill.
- Donate it to a local school if the unit is functional or serviceable.
- Reach out to a used equipment dealer to see if they will purchase it or take it in on trade, or at least take it away.
- If there are no takers, then reach out to a metal/electronics recycler to take it away.
The moral to this spring cleaning story is the pile of "misfit" equipment may be more valuable than you might think.
Copia Scientific specializes in the sale of certified pre-owned lab equipment. We buy lab equipment and take systems in on trade. In addition, Copia Scientific's LabSquad Team can repair a wide variety of plate-based instrumentation. Let Copia Scientific be your spring cleaning solution.